Archive for the ‘open office’ tag
Yesterday, I presented as part of a social media event and had an awesome time. The other speakers were stimulating and fun.
Today, I wanted to publish my slides on my website and on slideshare. So, I opened Acrobat to take a look at the accessibility of the PDF. I knew that the images would not have text equivalents so I was prepared to add those. I was not prepared for the following 4 hours of frustration…which is resulting not in an accessible PDF but in this blog post.
First off, Open Office Impress did not generate a tagged PDF despite me checking the checkbox. boo!
Secondly, when I generated XHTML instead of PDF, I lost all of the formatting and images. boo!
Thirdly, Acrobat only saves about 45 characters worth of each of the descriptions of the images despite giving me a text box that will allow me to enter at least 256 characters (I’m guessing because that’s the limit in the HTML 4.01 spec). boo!
I learned a valuable lesson today: all future decks will start and end in XHTML.